Information on Applications and Enrollment
How and when to apply? Here you will find detailed information about application and admission. Please note: These information do not apply to applicants whose documents have already been checked and whose eligibility for university entrance has been recognised.
What must you check before applying?
Before you apply for a course of studies you should check whether you fulfil the general admission requirements for a course of studies in Germany. For this purpose it is necessary to clarify the following:
1. Does your certificate (school-leaving certificate, certificate of university attendance in your home country) make you eligible for university entrance in Germany?
Please consult the "anabin" database, which exists to help you establish the answer to this question quickly.
2. Can you show evidence of adequate German language skills for a degree course?
Please note, that the language of instruction at Magdeburg-Stendal University of Applied Sciences is German in nearly all programmes and courses. Foreign applicants have to prove adequate language skills in German.
Evidence of the necessary German language skills can be provided in the form of:
- the "Kleines Deutsches Sprachdiplom" or "Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom", or
- the Goethe Institute’s "Zentrale Oberstufenprüfung"
- the "Sprachdiplom der Kultusministerkonferenz Stufe II" or
- the "deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang (DSH Stufe 2)", or
- TestDaF (minimun 16 total points & minimun level 3 in the examination modules) or
- TELC Deutsch C1 Hochschule or
- proof of having passed the entrance examination at a preparatory college (please see below for more details)
3. Do you fulfil the special admission requirements, if any?
For some degree programmes you must also fulfil additional (special) admission requirements. Please check our course descriptions to find out this information.
If you establish that university entrance is not possible with your certificate/certificates or if the standard of your German language skills does not make you eligible for university admission, then please contact a preparatory college ("Studienkolleg"). An overview of all preparatory colleges in Germany can be found here.
Magdeburg-Stendal University of Applied Sciences does not have its own preparatory college. The state-run preparatory college responsible for our institution is located at Anhalt University of Applied Sciences in Köthen. It specifically prepares foreign applicants for a course of studies in Germany.
In Magdeburg you can find a private preparatory college: Europäisches Studienkolleg der Wirtschaft (ESKW)
If you fulfil the admission requirements stated above, you can apply for a course of studies.
International applicants – including EU citizens – and all who have acquired their certificates in a country other than Germany are asked to apply via uni-assist e.V.
When must you apply?
It can take several weeks for uni-assist e.V. to check your application documents. We therefore recommend that you submit your application for a Bachelor’s programme within the following deadlines:
|Commencement in the winter semester (October)||Commencement in the summer semester (April)|
|Courses of study requiring an aptitude test||30 April||31 October|
|Restricted admission courses of study||31 May||30 November|
|Courses of study without admission restriction||31 July||31 January|
Applicants for a Master’s programme, please also note that uni-assist e.V. takes at least four to six weeks to examine the documents. For that reason, please apply in good time.
What must your application include?
It needs to include:
- the completed application form for a Bachelor’s or for a Master’s degree programme, and
- evidence of entitlement to be admitted to higher education (school-leaving certificate, or evidence of a university degree obtained abroad, or evidence of study periods spent at foreign universities) and
- proof of sufficient German skills, and
- a tabular CV (in German).
Please submit your certificates in the form of an officially certified photocopy with an officially certified German or English translation. Do not submit the originals.
- For the Bachelor’s programmes in Technical Interpreting and International Technical Communication you require evidence of DSH 3 (or equivalent).
- For the Bachelor’s programme in Industrial Design, the application takes place in two steps independent of each other:
- Please send us (Hochschule Magdeburg-Stendal, Dezernat II - Studentische Angelegenheiten, Breitscheidstr. 2, 39114 Magdeburg) your curriculum vitae and a folder with your solutions to the admission tasks. The current tasks can be found here at the Institute of Industrial Design. The folder only needs to contain solutions to the tasks, you are not required to submit an individual paper.
- Please send the completed application form and the required documents by 31 October for applications for the summer semester (commencement of studies in April of the following year) or by 30 April for applications for the winter semester (commencement of studies in October of the same year) to uni-assist e.V.
What checks are carried out by uni-assist, and when do you hear the results from us?
As a joint institution of German universities, uni-assist e.V. carries out an expert examination of all admission requirements, for which it charges a fee.
Once it has positively verified that all admission requirements have been met, it forwards the application on to us. Magdeburg-Stendal University of Applied Sciences then makes the decision concerning admission. The admissions and application procedure at Magdeburg-Stendal University of Applied Sciences is free of charge.
We normally send out our admission notices for the winter semester from the beginning of August.
Notices of admission
On restricted admission Bachelor’s programmes that begin in the winter semester, notices of admission to the degree programme are sent out from the beginning of August. Applications for unrestricted admission degree programmes are processed continuously.
From May/June, notices of admission are sent out at 14-day intervals. For courses where passing an aptitude test is an admission requirement, applicants are informed of the outcome after evaluation of the examination in the Department.
If not all places on a restricted admission programme are allocated during the main procedure, a second-chance procedure takes place. Applicants who received a rejection notice from the main procedure have the option to take part in the second-chance procedure, from which they may obtain a university place after all. When the first rejection notices are sent out, applicants are asked whether they would like to participate in a second-chance allocation procedure
Once you have received an admission notice please reply accepting your university place, submit the required documentation, and transfer the payment of the semester fee. Only then is your enrolment complete.
Which other formalities must you observe?
Where do you get support?
Information and advice on the above themes and on all other questions, e.g. accommodation and life and Magdeburg and Stendal, can be found on the website pages of our International Office.
If you need further information, you are welcome to contact our General Academic Counselling unit in person.