Health Promotion and Health Management
Bachelor of Arts
First Cycle Programmes
Start of studies
The programme begins each winter semester.
Applicants with foreign certificates please apply till 31 May via uni-assist e.V..
Standard period of study
The standard period of study is 6 semesters.
The language of instruction is German.
This course of studies prepares students for work in the field of health promotion and/or health management and provides them with the knowledge, methodology and professional skills they require to act in a scientifically responsible manner.
The students acquire competencies to shape health promotion processes which empower people to exercise a higher degree of self-determination over their health. They learn to develop strategies for changing living circumstances and personal behaviours that lead to illnesses.
The degree course fully prepares them for health promotion challenges and for dealing with individuals, social groups, organisations and institutions in different parts of society and different fields of action.
Under the remit of health management the degree course builds expertise and skills in the leadership and administration of organisations in the health sector. This includes activities in collaboration and coordination within multi-professional teams, conceptual thinking and acting in the planning, performance and analysis of complex, health-promoting measures and campaigns on a business-administrative footing.
Degree course content
The course of studies includes subjects from both the natural sciences and the social sciences. Acquiring rhetorical presentation skills and working on health-related projects are also elements of the course of studies. The Bachelor’s degree includes internship phases, which can be completed in Germany and abroad.
- Semesters 1 and 2: Fundamental subject-specific academic knowledge relating to the fields of law, administrative science, social policy, pedagogy, psychology, sociology, statistics, health science, human biology and social medicine, health practice (e.g. exercise, diet, relaxation), competence training for academic study and professional life (key competencies such as rhetoric, presentation, moderation, academic working methods), orientation to practice and professional fields in the form of a six-week internship at the end of semester 2.
- Semesters 3 and 4: Subject-specific professional competencies in health promotion such as research methods, legal and social-policy fundamentals, intervention procedures in the area of mental health, person-based health promotion (health psychology and health education), environment and health, economics and management in social and health services, organisational development and corporate health promotion, public health promotion
- a six-week internship at the end of semester 2
- a 20-week internship takes place in semester 5
A higher education entrance qualification is a general prerequisite for admittance to the programme of study. International applicants must provide proof of educational qualifications that permit study in Germany (school-leaving certificate, certificate of university attendance). The anabin database provides information about the validation of foreign educational qualifications.
The language of instruction is German. Foreign applicants must prove they have adequate knowledge of German. Evidence of the necessary German language skills can be provided in the form of:
- Goethe Certificate C2
- DSD II
- DSH II
- TestDaF (minimun 16 total points & minimun level 3 in the examination modules)
- TELC Deutsch C1 Hochschule
- evidence of having passed the entrance examination at a preparatory college
Applicants who are unable to fulfil the specified admission requirements may contact a preparatory college (‘Studienkolleg’). These specifically prepare foreign applicants for a course of study in Germany. Magdeburg-Stendal University of Applied Sciences does not have its own preparatory college. The state-run preparatory college responsible for our institution is located at Anhalt University of Applied Sciences in Köthen.
An overview of all preparatory colleges in Germany can be found here.
In Magdeburg you can find a private preparatory college: Europäisches Studienkolleg der Wirtschaft (ESKW)
When should you apply and what should your application include? Learn more about our application procedures and deadlines.