International Technical Communication and Translation
Bachelor of Arts
First Cycle Programmes
Start of studies
The programme begins each winter semester.
Applicants with foreign certificates please apply till 31 July via uni-assist e.V..
Standard period of study
The standard period of study is 6 semesters.
No restricted admission
special admission requirements
The language of instruction is German.
The programme provides an academically founded and above all practice-oriented education, which prepares students for working in diverse fields of employment: technical translation in industry and commerce, for national and international public bodies and organisations or in publishing houses, and in the related fields of terminology, technical documentation, business communication and technical information.
Degree course content
- Foreign-language competence,
- linguistics and translation studies,
- translation exercises, terminology,
- technology and natural sciences,
- technical documentation,
- regional and cultural studies,
- information technology of technical communication,
- intercultural competence,
- dialogue interpreting
The course includes a semester abroad in an English-speaking linguistic and cultural region. Students can choose to spend a semester in a professional environment (internship abroad) or at a university (studying abroad). Spending a semester abroad is a course requirement and gives students the opportunity to further their knowledge of language and cultures.
A higher education entrance qualification is a general prerequisite for admittance to the programme of study. International applicants must provide proof of educational qualifications that permit study in Germany (school-leaving certificate, certificate of university attendance). The anabin database provides information about the validation of foreign educational qualifications.
The language of instruction is German. Foreign applicants must prove they have adequate knowledge of German. Evidence of the necessary German language skills can be provided in the form of:
- the ‘Kleines Deutsches Sprachdiplom’ or ‘Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom’, or
- the Goethe Institute’s ‘Zentrale Oberstufenprüfung’
- the ‘Sprachdiplom der Kultusministerkonferenz Stufe II’ or
- the ‘deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang (DSH Stufe 2)’, or
- ‘TestDaF, (minimun 16 total points and level 3 in the examination modules) or
- ‘TELC Deutsch C1 Hochschule’ or
- proof of having passed the entrance examination at a preparatory college.
Applicants who are unable to fulfil the specified admission requirements may contact a preparatory college (‘Studienkolleg’). These specifically prepare foreign applicants for a course of study in Germany. Magdeburg-Stendal University of Applied Sciences does not have its own preparatory college. The state-run preparatory college responsible for our institution is located at Anhalt University of Applied Sciences in Köthen.
An overview of all preparatory colleges in Germany can be found here.
In Magdeburg you can find a private preparatory college: Europäisches Studienkolleg der Wirtschaft (ESKW)
When should you apply and what should your application include? Learn more about our application procedures and deadlines.