Every semester, Magdeburg-Stendal University of Applied Sciences welcomes many new students who come to Germany for a semester abroad. Our student mentors, known as “buddies”, help international students adjust to life in Germany.
Buddies help foreign students to settle in and find their bearings in their new surroundings, giving them an easier start at the University and in Magdeburg. Buddies are available to international students for help, advice and to give support in everyday (academic) life. Our buddies are volunteers and in return for their support, they receive a letter of confirmation which can be used for scholarship applications and on their CV. The mentoring programme cooperates closely with the Magdeburg-Stendal University of Applied Sciences International Office. It is coordinated by the Prorectorate for Academic and International Affairs and organized by students.
If you have any more questions about the Buddy Programme, you can read our FAQs below. If you don’t happen to find an answer to your question, you can contact us by email email@example.com.
Become a 'Buddy' and care for an international student or a refugee (prospective student)!
You want to become a 'Buddy' at the University of Applied Sciences Magdeburg-Stendal?
The registration counts for one semester. But you can extend your application via e-mail or personal consultation.
Our participants volunteer as 'Buddies'. There is no necessity for specific knowledge, but you should take pleasure in dealing with people from different countries and cultures. Further you sould be responsible and reliable, as well as having basic knowledge at least in one foreign language.
FAQ for the international Buddyprogramm
You are studying at the Hochschule Magdeburg-Stendal and you are looking for a buddy, who can help and support you during your stay in Germany? Become part of the Buddyprogramm and register now!
The following things are required:
- Basic knowledge in German and/or English language
- You should have time to meet up with your buddy
- Be open minded and reliable, be interested in other cultures
Your Buddy can assist you with the following tasks:
- Orientation on campus
- Any kind of questions regarding the student life
- Help when visiting banks and/or officials
- Information about sport programmes and leisure time activities
You and your Buddy get along very well? How about:
- Common sport activities, go for a coffee, spend some time with shopping or discovering the city of Magdeburg or Stendal together
- Enjoy the nightlife of Magdeburg/Stendal or visit cities and famous places in Germany such as Berlin, Dresden or Leipzig
What kind of responsibilities does an international student have?
(a student who participates in Buddyprogramm)
If you decide to register for the programme, please make sure to keep in touch with your buddy and the Buddy-Team, which means: Reply to E-mails and try to participate in the events we offer you and your Buddy. Please contact us in case of any problems.
How can I participate in the Buddyprogramm?
1. Please fill out the online application form to sign up for the programme. Besides your personal information, let us know about preferences you may have regarding your buddy (gender, course of study, language).
2. After receiving your application form, we try to find the best matching buddy for you. As soon as we find the right buddy student for you, you will receive some information about him/her via e-mail to contact him/her.
3. Now it’s your turn to get in touch with each other. Be active! At the beginning of the new semester we will advice you and your buddy to take part in the Buddy-Welcome-Party. This will be your chance to meet all the other students, who are part of the programme, to get in touch with German students, to get to know the culture and practice your German language, to gather information about the next events, enjoy a multicultural atmosphere and ask the Buddy-Team all your burning questions. The event will take place during the first weeks of the new semester. We will spend a nice evening together with music, snacks and people from all over the world.
Your next steps:
1. Fill out the application form
2. You will receive your Buddy's contact information by E-mail, so don't miss checking your Spam folder from time to time
3. Get in touch with your Buddy and meet each other
4. It would be nice to receive a short feedback after the semester to improve our Buddyprogramm.
5. You have your own ideas about events or activities for the Buddyprogramm? Just get in touch with us, we are looking forward to your thoughts and ideas :)
You need more information or you have questions about the programme?
Feel free to contact us.
- Guided walking tour through Magdeburg and eating ice cream: Thursday, April 26 2018
- Climbing centre: Wednesday, Mai 2 2018 in Stendal or Wednesday, June 13 2018, in Magdeburg
- Excursion to Potsdam: Saturday, Mai 26 2018 from Magdeburg
- Summer party in Stendal: Wednesday, June 20 2018, Foodie-Corner and Buddyprogramm-tent
- International Picknick with public screening World Cup 2018: Tuesday, July 3 2018, campus Herrenkrug and campus Stendal
Gustavo Rodrigues de Carvalho Leite
International Facebook Page
Visit our facebook page and you will always be up to date about intercultural programmes, events and actions.