Every semester, Magdeburg-Stendal University of Applied Sciences welcomes many new students who come to Germany for a semester abroad. Our student mentors, known as “buddies”, help international students adjust to life in Germany.
Buddies help foreign students to settle in and find their bearings in their new surroundings, giving them an easier start at the University and in Magdeburg. Buddies are available to international students for help, advice and to give support in everyday (academic) life. Our buddies are volunteers and in return for their support, they receive a letter of confirmation which can be used for scholarship applications and on their CV. The mentoring programme cooperates closely with the Magdeburg-Stendal University of Applied Sciences International Office. It is coordinated by the Prorectorate for Academic and International Affairs and organized by students.
If you have any more questions about the Buddy Programme, you can download our FAQs here. If you don’t happen to find an answer to your question, you can contact us by email.
Become a 'Buddy' and care for an international student or a refugee (prospective student)!
You want to become a 'Buddy' at the University of Applied Sciences Magdeburg-Stendal? In this case, you can download our registration form here (see "Downloads"), fill your information in, save and send the file to firstname.lastname@example.org. The registration counts for one semester. But you can extend your application via e-mail or personal consultation.
Our participants volunteer as 'Buddies'. There is no necessity for specific knowledge, but you should take pleasure in dealing with people from different countries and cultures. Further you sould be responsible and reliable, as well as having basic knowledge at least in one foreign language.
FAQ for the international Buddyprogramm
Are you studying at the Hochschule Magdeburg-Stendal and you are looking for a buddy, who can help and support you during your staying in Germany? Be part of the Buddyprogrammand register now!
The following things you should bring with:
- Basic knowledge in German or/and English language
- You should have time to meet up with your buddy
- Be open minded and reliable, be interested in another cultures
If these statements apply to you, your Buddy can assist in the following tasks:
- Orientation on Campus
- Any kind of questions regarding the student life
- Accompany for office/bank visits
- Information about sport programs and leisure time activities
You and your Buddy get along very well? How about:
- Common sport activities, go for a coffee, spend some time with shopping or discovering the city of Magdeburg or Stendal together
- Enjoy the nightlife of Magdeburg/Stendal or visit cities and famous places in Germany such as Berlin, Dresden or Leipzig
What kind of responsibilities does an international student have?
(a student who participates in Buddyprogramm)
If you decide to register for the program, please make sure to keep in touch with your buddy and the buddy-team, which means: Reply to e-mails and try to participate in the events we offer you and your Buddy. Please contact us in case of any problems.
How can I participate in the Buddyprogramm?
1. Please fill out the online application paper to sign up for the program. Beside your personal information, let us know about preferences you may have regarding your buddy (gender, course of study, language).
2. After receiving your fulfilled application form, we try to find the best matching buddy for you. As soon as we find the right buddy student for you, you will receive some information about him/her via e-mail to contact him/her.
3. Now it’s your turn to get in touch with each other. Be active! At the beginning of the new semester we will advice you and your buddy to take part in the Buddy-Welcome-Party. This will be your chance to meet all the other students, who are part of the program, to make lots of contacts to German students, to get to know the culture and practice your German language, to gather information about the next events, enjoy a multicultural atmosphere and ask questions to the buddy-team. The event will take place during the first weeks of the new semester. We will spend a nice afternoon together with music, snacks and people from all over the world.
Your next steps:
1. Fill out the application paper
2. You will receive the contact to your personal Buddy via e-mail, check also your spam box from time to time.
3. Get in touch with your Buddy and meet each other
4. It would be nice to receive a short feedback after the semester to improve our Buddyprogramm.
5. You have your own ideas about events or activities for the Buddyprogram? Just get in touch with us, we are looking forward to your thoughts and ideas :)
You need more information or you have questions about the program?
Feel free to contact us.
- Campus Rallye: Tuesday, April 3 2018, Campus Herrenkrug
- Easter Egg Hunt: Wednesday, April 4 2018, Elbauenpark Magdeburg
- Oficial Welcome Party: Thursday, April 12 2018, Café Frösi (Magdeburg) or Wednesday, April 18 2018, FET-Bar (Stendal)
- Guided walking tour through Magdeburg and eating ice cream: Thursday, April 26 2018
- Climbing centre: Wednesday, Mai 2 2018 in Stendal or Wednesday, June 13 2018, in Magdeburg
- Summer party in Stendal: Wednesday, June 20 2018, Foodie-Corner and Buddyprogramm-tent
- International Picknick: Tuesday, July 3 2018, campus Herrenkrug and campus Stendal
Contact in Stendal
Coordinator for Internationalization
Phone: (0391) 886 41 72
Fax: (0391) 886 42 53
Visitors' address: Building 4, Room 2.20
- Futher development of the Internationalization strategy
- Implementation of the Internationalization strategy 2016-2020
- Internationalization project "Ferndurst & Wissensweh"
- Internationalization project "Buddyprogramm"
(Public Relation, Social Media)
Gustavo Rodrigues de Carvalho Leite
(Buddy Programme, Cooperation with IKUS)
(Ferndurst & Wissensweh)
(Buddy Programme, Ferndurst & Wissensweh)
International facebook group
Visit our Facebook Page and you will always be uptodate about intercultural programmes, events and actions.
To all international students!
You are studying at Magdeburg-Stendal University of Applied Sciences and you are looking for a Buddy, who introduces you to university life in Germany? If so, please contact us via email@example.com and we will find the perfect Buddy for you!