Application periods and deadlines
The procedures described below exclude those applicants whose documents have already been checked and certified for university eligibility. This also applies to applicants who are applying via the group APS procedure.
- What should you consider before applying?
- When should you apply (application deadlines)?
- What should your application include?
- What does uni-assist check and when will we give you our decision?
- Which additional formalities should you take into account? Where can you get assistance?
Before you apply for a course, you should check that you fulfil the general admission requirements for studying in Germany.
To do so you will need to answer the following questions:
I. Does your qualification (school certificate, certificate of university attendance in your homeland) qualify you to study at university in Germany?
A number of databases are available to help you establish this:
- www.anabin.de – official site with authoritative information on the assessment of foreign qualifications
II. Are you able to demonstrate sufficient knowledge of the German language?
The following are considered to provide evidence of German-language proficiency:
- the "Kleine Deutsche Sprachdiplom" or "Große Deutsche Sprachdiplom", or
- the ZOP (advanced level examination) from the Goethe Institute or
- the "Sprachdiplom der Kultusministerkonferenz Stufe II" or
- the "deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang (DSH Stufe 2)", or
- "TestDaF, Niveaustufe 4" (in all 4 examination modules) or
- evidence of having passed the entrance examination at a preparatory college.
III. If necessary, do you meet special admission requirements?
For some courses of study you must also fulfil additional (special) admission requirements. For more detailed information, please check our website: www.hs-magdeburg.de/studium/
If you find that your qualification(s) or level of proficiency in German do not entitle you to study at a German university, then please contact a preparatory college where you may be able to take a foundation course.
An overview of all preparatory colleges in Germany can be found here.
Magdeburg-Stendal University of Applied Sciences does not have its own preparatory college. The preparatory college with responsibility for us is at the Anhalt University of Applied Sciences:
It offers foundation courses specifically for students interested in studying in Germany. Preparatory colleges help you to acquire the specialist and linguistic foundations for studying at a German university or institute of higher education.
If you meet the above mentioned admission requirements, you may apply to pursue a course of study!
International applicants – including EU citizens – and all those who have acquired their educational qualifications abroad, please apply via uni-assist.
Details can be found on the uni-assist website.
See page 5 of the application form (application for a Bachelor’s degree course) or
see page 4 of the application form (application for a Master’s degree course)
The application for admission can be found here:
- for a Bachelor’s degree course
- for a Master’s degree course
- a completed Magdeburg-Stendal University of Applied Sciences application form for a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree course (see above for links).
- proof of entitlement to study at a German university (school leaving certificate, if necessary proof of a university degree obtained abroad or evidence of periods of study at foreign universities)
- evidence of sufficient proficiency in the German language
- a tabular CV (in German) with passport photo
- indication of the chosen course of study
Please submit certified photocopies and certified German or English translations of your application documents, not the originals.
For the Bachelor’s courses in Technical Interpreting and International Technical Communication you will require proof of successful completion of the DSH 3 proficiency test (or equivalent).
For the Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Design, the application process is split into 2 separate stages
Please send us your CV, a letter of motivation and a portfolio of samples (for the address see page 1 of the application form). Information on the required content of the portfolio can be found here:
http://www.gestaltung.hs-magdeburg.de/ (access the information by clicking on the following links: Studium, Bewerbung, Bewerbungsseite Bachelor...) You can find the current exercises for completion here. Your portfolio must contain the results of these exercises. We do not require a portfolio with individual work.
Please send the completed application form and the necessary documents by 31 October for applications for the summer semester of the following year or by 31 March for applications for the winter semester of the same year to uni-assist. (For the address, see page 5 of the application form).
As a service for all German universities, uni-assist carries out the expert checking of all admission requirements on their behalf for a fee.
Once it is established that the application fulfils all of the admission criteria, it is forwarded to us. Magdeburg-Stendal University of Applied Sciences then makes the final decision concerning admission. The admissions procedure at the Magdeburg-Stendal University of Applied Sciences is free of charge.
As a general rule, potential students are notified of our decision from the beginning of August.
Before coming to Germany you must take into account the need to satisfy certain formalities (e.g. applying for a visa). You will also need to complete some local administrative formalities once you have arrived in Germany (e.g. resident’s registration office, immigration authorities). In addition, you must also hold German health insurance.
Information and advice on the above subjects and all other questions (living in Magdeburg) can be found on our International Office pages.
If you require any further information, you are welcome to contact our student advisory service in person.