Degree Studies

A warm welcome to the Magdeburg-Stendal University of Applied Sciences website pages for international applicants and international students!

We hope that the content will be useful in answering your questions and help you to make up your mind about studying at our institution.

Should you not be able to find the information you want here, please contact the International Office. We will be glad to assist you.

Preparation and Application

Studying in Germany

The German Higher Education system offers a wide range of possibilites of different interests and needs.

Before you choose your university in a foreign country, you should collect information about the different types of higher education institution.

Detailed information on this subject as well as general information concerning the progess of the studies in Germany you can find on the websites of DAAD

Ranges of courses available

You will find a complete list of all courses the Magdeburg-Stendal University of Applied Sciences offers

Bachelor's Degree Programmes

Master's Degree Programmes

Language requirements

The language of study at Magdeburg-Stendal University of Applied Sciences is German. In some courses there are, however, a few classes in English.

Further information of language requirements needed you will find by clicking Application.

Academic year / Semester dates

The academic year in Germany is split into two semesters - winter and summer.

The winter semester starts on the 1st of October and ends on the 31st of March.
The summer semester starts on the 1st of April and ends on the 30th of September .

Lecture period: At Magdeburg-Stendal University of Applied Sciences, classes run from the 1st of October to around mid February in the winter semester and from the 1st of April to around mid July in the summer semester.

In the last weeks of the lecture period and in some cases also in the first weeks following the lecture period, there will be examinations.

After the examination period up to the end of the semester there is the, so-called, lecture-free period (also called semester break) during which no classes are offered. 

The most important holidays where no classes will be held (and shops and banks remain closed) are:

  • Epiphany (Heilige Drei Könige): January 6th
  • Easter - Good Friday and Easter Monday (Ostern - Karfreitag und Ostermontag): End of March/beginning of April
  • Ascension Day (Christi Himmelfahrt): one Thursday at the beginning of May
  • Whit Monday (Pfingstmontag): End of May
  • German Reunification Day (Tag der Deutschen Einheit): October 3rd
  • Reformation Day (Reformationstag): October 31st

The current semester dates can be found here.

Double degree

On double degree programmes, in addition to obtaining a degree from Magdeburg-Stendal University of Applied Sciences, at the same time you will achieve a degree from a foreign partner university.

read more


You have chosen a study programme and would like to apply for it? Here you will find detailed information about application and admission.

find out more


1. Tuition and semester fee

Studies at the Magdeburg-Stendal University of Applied Sciences are free of tuition fees, except for some postgraduate courses of study.

[An overview of all study courses including information on the liability to fees is available here (DE).
Please note that the university is legally obligated to charge a fee of € 500 per semester if you exceed the regular course duration (Regelstudienzeit; specified in the study regulations for the course) by more than 4 semesters. More information can be found here: Langzeitstudiengebühren (DE)]

Nevertheless, you will need to pay the so-called semester fee (Semesterbeitrag) before each semester for the services of the Studentenwerk (see below), your membership in the student body and for the semester ticket (discount public transportation ticket for students).

On enrolling, you are required to provide proof that you have paid the fee of currently EUR 107,20 in Magdeburg resp. EUR 61 in Stendal (no semester ticket for busses in Stendal available).

Please bear in mind that the semester fee needs to be paid every semester.

The Studentenwerk is an organisation that is independent of the Magdeburg-Stendal University of Applied Sciences and supports students in various ways. Among other things, the Studentenwerk runs most student residences, the student canteens and several student cafés and offers other services such as legal advice.

With your semester ticket you can use all buses and trams in Magdeburg without further costs.

2. Living expenses

The amount of money you will need per month depends very much on your spending habits.  However, you should have at least EUR 720 per month at your disposal, even if you may need less in the end.

Information on how much a room or an apartment in Magdeburg will roughly cost is available in the section  Accommodation

This site provides an overview of the general price level in Germany.

3. How much money should you take with you in cash for the first days in Magdeburg?

In order to avoid difficulties upon your arrival, it is essential that you bring enough money with you in cash. In general, you will have the following expenses at the beginning of your stay in Magdeburg or Stendal. (Prices for a place to stay refer to a room in a Studentenwerk student residence.):

  • one or two months' rent (around EUR 250 per month)
  • deposit for your room (about EUR 160)
  • expenses for tram and bus tickets (for the time before the beginning of the semester > once the semester starts, you can use the semester ticket as ticket for tram and buses)
  • If you need to take out health insurance in Germany, expect monthly premiums of about EUR 85.
  • living expenses for the first days
  • semester fee (Magdeburg: EUR 93, Stendal: EUR 51)
  • If you need a residence permit (which is mostly the case if you are not a citizen of an EU member state) and you do not receive a grant or scholarship from a European organisation or the Magdeburg-Stendal University of Applied Sciences, EUR 110 once for the residence permit. 


Formalities in Germany

In order for you to commence your studies at Magdeburg-Stendal University of Applied Sciences, you have to complete certain formalities.

Please read the following information carefully (preferably in the order indicated):


Bankkonto eröffnen - Banken in Magdeburg

Krankenversicherungen in Magdeburg

Bei der Stadt Magdeburg anmelden - Informationen für Studierende aus EU-Staaten

Bei der Stadt Magdeburg anmelden/Aufenthaltserlaubnis beantragen - Informationen für Studierende aus Nicht-EU-Staaten

If you do not have sufficient command of German...

... it is possible to attend courses at a preparatory college. More information can be found here.

Financial Support

The following lists various ways of obtaining financial support for your studies:


  • BaföG (Federal Education & Training Assistance Act): Information on BaföG funding for foreign students can be found here.
  • Scholarships: Useful hints and links to possible scholarships can be found here. The DAAD also provides information on scholarships for foreign students.
  • Course completion grant: For students who have achieved good grades and who are expected to successfully complete their degree within a year, it is possible to obtain a course completion grant if, towards the end of your studies, you find yourself in financial difficulties through no fault of your own. The course completion grant may be awarded for a maximum of six months; in exceptional cases this may be extended to a maximum of 12 months. To apply and for further information, please contact the International Office.
  • Financial Hardship: Should you find yourself in financial difficulties during your studies, please speak to us in the International Office during our consultation hours. We can give you details of contacts from whom you can obtain support.




During and at the end of your studies

Excursions and Events

The International Office and the Buddy Programme regularly organise welcome events for international students. We also offer various excursions over the course of the semester. Information on these is available at the welcome event at the beginning of the semester and on Facebook.

Tips on events at the university can also be found here:The International Office and the Buddy Programme regularly organise welcome events for international students. We also offer various excursions over the course of the semester. Information on these is available at the welcome event at the beginning of the semester and on Facebook.

Tips on events at the university can also be found here:

Facebook-page Magdeburg-Stendal University of Applied Sciences International

Facebook-page Magdeburg-Stendal University of Applied Sciences

Learn German at the University

German courses in parallel with your studies: German as a Foreign Language (DaF)

In addition to your main course of studies the university's Communication and Media Faculty offers German language courses throughout the entire semester. Courses are available at levels A1 to C1.

More detailed information on the German course offering is available from Professor Dr. Martina Schwanke. You can also obtain ECTS credits upon successful completion of your German as a Foreign Language (DaF) course.

Intensive German as a Foreign Language (DaF) course before the beginning of the semester

The Department of Communication and Media regularly offers four-week-long intensive courses in German as a Foreign Language before the beginning of the semester. Courses are available at levels A1 (beginner with no prior knowledge) to B2 (advanced with B1 qualification). You can obtain ECTS credits by successfully completing the intensive course. More detailed information and the application form for the intensive course can be found here.



Extension of residence permit

Please note that your residence permit for a course of studies is only issued for a certain period of time (usually 2 years).

Before your old residence permit expires you need to apply to the Foreigners’ Office (Ausländerbehörde) for an extension.

The procedure is more or less identical to your initial application. However the authorities will also check that you are making adequate progress with your course, in other words that you will complete your degree in a reasonable time frame.



Changing course

If you wish to change course, please seek advice from the Course Guidance Service.

Please note that you need to notify the Foreigners’ Office in due time if you wish to change course.




By re-registering you are notifying the university that you intend to study at the university in the forthcoming semester.

You must re-register every semester by paying the semester fee. This must take place within a fixed period of time. The dates are advertised on the website of the Department of Student Affairs.

Once your payment has been transferred to the relevant account, you will receive your new student ID by post. Your certificate of enrolment can be printed off via the online service for students. If you do not make payment within the specified period, you will be de-registered and cannot continue your studies.

Please note that we must have your current address in order to send you your documents. You can check and amend your address details via the online service for students.

Enrolment certificates

If you need additional prints of your enrolment certificate, please visit following website:


Please enter your user name and password (same as in the ZKI rooms).

If you are not within the University network, for example, you are at home and want to log in, you have to connect to WebPVN (see box of Online-Studierendenservice below). If you have logged in with your user name and password, the log in for the Online-Studierendenservice is made as described above.

By clicking Studentenverwaltung, you will find the enrolment certificates available for printing.



Jobs and Internships

All relevant information on working while you are a student is available from the web site of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD).

A comprehensive collection of links to miscellaneous job web sites is offered by the Career Center (DE).

End of studies

When you return home:

We have set up a check list here that will give you an overview of what you need to do before you leave Magdeburg. The German Student Union has further useful information.

Check list: what do I need to do and when?

If you would like to remain in Germany:

The German Student Union also offers useful information here. Nevertheless you should still take a look at the check list and work through the items that are relevant to you.

Important note

For students who hold a residence permit for study purposes, it is always the case that the end of your course means that your reason for staying in the country is no longer valid. Therefore please contact the Foreigners’ Office before you de-register in order to clarify what you need to do next.


Julia Krumm

Tel.: +49 (0) 391 886 41 19

Visitors' address: Building 4, Room 2.21

complete staff

Contact Stendal

Mandy Mattke

Tel.: (03931) 2187 48 36
Fax: (03931) 2187 48 70

Visitor's address: Building 2, Room 2.23

complete staff

Study programm

More information regarding our study program can be found at the General Academic Counselling.

read more

Hintergrund Bild